Comment posted Sony: Most GOWIII cutscenes won’t be pre-rendered by Patrick Steen.
I’m the only one who didn’t know? Ignoring the fact that we brought you the news in the first place before any other website? I hate to quote the article above, as I shouldn’t need to:
“When we found out that God of War III’s cutscenes wouldn’t contain any CG trickery, we still questioned whether the in-engine scenes would be pre-recorded and played back as videos (ie. pre-rendered.) ”
Therefore, we knew they weren’t CG, but we didn’t know whether they would be recorded as videos, like Uncharted 2. The advantage of having them as real-time is that we can use customisable costumes eg. Cod of War.
This story not only confirms different costumes in the cutscenes, it reveals that some of the cutscenes will be pre-rendered. So first article states “NO CGI” and the second states “SOME will be pre-rendered” – is that enough to prove that CGI does not necessarily equal pre-rendered?
So not only is this news new, it differs significantly from our previous report, which brought the GOWIII cutscene pre-rendered/real-time news to the interwebs in the first place.
I bid you good day.
Patrick Steen also commented
- The big cutscene on the boat was pre-rendered in MGS4 – as they couldn’t keep the frame-rate up for it to be real-time.
We all know why Dr Moogle =)
- @taus90 – The vocabularily is certainly confusing and not set in stone. For example, surely everything rendered by a computer system, real-time or otherwise, is “Computer Generated (CG)”.
Lots of people like to say “pre-rendered” – but it doesn’t tell the whole story. As far as I’m concerned, there’s pre-rendered high-end CG, and pre-rendered in-engine, and then real-time. GOWIII will have a mixture of the latter two.
Dr Moogle – it was the same issue with MGS4 – two of the game’s major cutscenes were pre-rendered (but still in-engine) and Snake would lose his costumes – it’s not too jarring.
- Please read the whole article and not the just the title Blinky. Considering I wrote the original article on “no CG in God of War III,” I would not be so silly as to write another article on it if I thought we already knew that they weren’t pre-rendered.
- No we didn’t =)
Recent comments by Patrick Steen
- Gran Turismo 5 delayed worldwide — surprise!
It’s quite clear why this has happened. All the stories about glitches, and missing roads etc. They just want to fix those and that’s going to take a week or so. The game has most likely gone gold and they’re working on a patch before they release.
- Sports Champions Review
Wow I’m very surprised at the Table Tennis opinions. It’s literally the best thing in the game and I have a very small room, with lots of furniture around me. I can move around…and it’s simply the best recreation of a sport in a game.
It’s also the favourite game of most Sports Champions players. It’s the jewel in a rough of sports games.
I’ve made a video of this on bronze, but I’ll make another on Gold to show how I move around in my room.
- TGS ’10 Level 5 shows off their next PS3 game
Thanks for pointing that out Late, we made a little edit. Still looking promising.
- Games that will Define this Generation
It’s not out – but it will be The Last Guardian
- Vanquish director doesn’t want another Bayonetta PS3
It really wasn’t that bad to be honest – framerate was not too bad for most of the game, graphics were OK (not as good as 360 certainly). But it was pretty much a blast to play on the PS3.